Paul and Cori

Things we love: cooking, photography, crocheting, reading, math and board games.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Vegetable Beef Stewy Soup: soup's on!


Sometimes (usually right before we go on a trip) I find that we have more food than we can possibly eat before it's going to (or I'm afraid it's going to) go bad, so I try to find ways of using what ever we have in one giant meal. This time, it is turning into vegetable beef stewy soup.
copyright: Cori 2010
3/4-1 lb beef-cubed
copyright: Cori 2010
2 Tbl olive oil
1 onion-diced
3-4 cloves garlic-minced
3-4 stalks celery-sliced
3 carrots-sliced
3 small potatoes-diced
2 tsp savory, 1 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp marjoram
1 cup red wine, 1/2 tsp salt (if you use cooking wine don't add this extra salt, it is already enhanced with salt-1 tsp/cup) I ended up using 1/4 cup red cooking wine, 1/4 cup cooking sherry and 1/2 cup burgundy drinking wine because I only had that much red cooking wine, and when I added in the sherry, it really took over the smell of the soup, so I felt I also needed more red wine.
1/2-1 carton (32 oz) low sodium beef broth (I had 1/2 a carton)- the more liquid you use, the more soupy and less chunky your final results will be.
2 cans (14-16 oz) diced tomatoes-no salt added
fresh basil-snipped

1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot, add beef, 1 tsp savory, 1/2 tsp pepper, onion and garlic to hot oil and saute until beef is brown, drain.
2. Add the tomatoes to beef mixture. As you get each other vegetable cut, stir it into the pot.
3. Stir in the other 1 tsp savory and 1 tsp pepper. Then add wine and beef broth, until ingredients are covered with liquid.
4. Bring all this to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 2-3 hours until beef and vegetable are tender.
5. When soup is ready, snip basil (I used 2 stems) into the soup, stir and serve. Add pepper and salt to taste. (I added pepper).
copyright: Cori 2010
copyright: Cori: 2010
I was surprised how amazing fresh basil smells the first time I used it, and how much more flavorful it is than the dried spice. Always add fresh basil at the end of the cooking process. Prolonged exposure to heat will make it lose its flavor and essential oil (smell). With this in mind, you might want to add the basil to each serving, and not to the whole pot- especially if you are planning on reheating the pot to serve leftovers.
copyright: Cori 2010
Feel free to add other/extra vegetables too, such as green beans, corn, peas, or beans. Whatever really.

1 comment: