Paul and Cori

Things we love: cooking, photography, crocheting, reading, math and board games.

Monday, December 19, 2011

not just any chocolate cake

Amy is 22! I made her a cake. A huge cake. A Triple Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake. It was my first layer cake from scratch! I was so excited to make it for her. :)
I bought a new cake pan, because I only had two, and it had to have 3 layers! I also wanted Paul to be able to enjoy it with everyone else (of course!) so I searched for cake recipes that sounded fudgey and delicious, and were dairy free. I found this one on simply recipes.
I also used cake flour instead of all-purpose flour- 1 cup + 2 Tbls for each cup of regular flour called for in the recipe, and Ghirardelli cocoa powder- really super soft, I've never felt cocoa so soft.
I put on my apron, and got started. The good thing is, you put the layers in the freezer until you are ready to frost them, so I could bake them before Amy even got here- surprise! I love surprises :) 
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011

Then the frosting search. dairyfree.org gave me a chocolate frosting recipe that I already had, in a cookbook from Paul's sister, Sara. This frosting has honey in it, which I had never considered before. Excellent idea! Very creamy and smooth frosting!
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
I also kind of wanted a filling frosting that would make the cake more worthy of the "fudge" in the title. When there wasn't enough frosting for all three layers anyway, I had another frosting in waiting. It is made with granulated sugar and chocolate chips instead of powdered sugar and cocoa powder.

copyright: Cori 2011  

copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
 Luckily, I wanted to put something chocolate on the frosting to decorate it, so I had chocolate chips. I found mini chocolate chips-perfect! Then, it was time to frost! We threw the chocolate chips at the side of the cake to decorate the edge, "Just chuck it!"
Huge, frosting filled, and yummy!
copyright: Cori 2011

copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
copyright: Cori 2011
It was a success! I love when things turn out :) Yum! So good with coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment