Paul and Cori

Things we love: cooking, photography, crocheting, reading, math and board games.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

pumpkin practice

What do you do when you have a huge can of pumpkin, and your husband asks you to make pumpkin bread for his math club? It's never too early to start practicing for Thanksgiving! That huge can of pumpkin made 2 loaves of pumpkin bread and a practice pumpkin pie. Since I was practicing, I also wanted to try using the Coconut Dream I recently bought to try. Usually we use Rice Dream for our milk needs, but I love coconut, so when I saw the new product, I had to try it. It has more fat in it than rice milk, so it is thicker. This makes my morning coffee more creamy, and lightens it more like cream than rice milk does. It also gives the coffee a slight cool coconut flavor. Yum.
copyright: Cori 2011
We also recently bought a pie crust edge protector, so I no longer have to fight with the foil to keep my crusts from getting too brown. The one we got is silicone, and works great!

My Practice Pumpkin Pie has a nutmeg crust, coconut dream, real maple syrup, and double the amount of ground ginger. It's good. I'm not positive that the coconut dream did anything particularly beneficial for the texture or the thickness/creaminess of the custard. Which means I can use either coconut or rice milk, whichever is handy. Pretty nice. For my real Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie this year I want to use a real pumpkin, and possibly fresh ginger.
copyright: Cori 2011

copyright: Cori 2011

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Fresh ginger will be so yummy!! I have some pumpkins you can take home for the pie. (As long as they last that long.)

    ReplyDelete